Sunday, 14 June 2009

Eka pada Sirasana , Ramaswami approach.

So I'm still exploring Ramaswami's Vinyasa yoga. http://grimmly2007.blogspot.com/2009/06/book-review-complete-book-of-vinyasa.html Yesterday, my rest day, I did his light standing sequence and today I decided to sacrifice an Intermediate and have a go at his Asymmetrical seated sequence. I still haven't figured out how this method works. Do you tend to do one sequence a day, today seated tomorrow inverted etc. or do you do you sequence it yourself, taking a little from each, I suspect the later. Anyway I did a quick Ashtanga Standing and Finishing sandwiching the Ramaswami sequence. It took me about two hours altogether but there was a lot of stopping on the first side to refer to his book.

It was fun and without all the Jumping back much calmer, good focus on the breath and bandhas. Basically your working through every one legged seated asana, bit like an extended Ashtanga Primary seated sequence. It does make you look at Ashtanga in a new light, quite in awe of how Ashtanga was worked out, how each series became sequenced. However it makes you question some things too.
Kapo for instance seems well prepped but what about Eka pada Sirasana. I struggled with this when I first started in Intermediate (still do) and ended up chucking in some primary half lotus seated as extra preparation. In Ramaswami's Vinyasa yoga, Eka pada comes towards the end of the sequence about twenty asana's in. It follows Akarna danurasana (archer pose) and kraunchasana (heron pose) and a bunch of half lotus asanas and Marichi twists. I found it much easier getting in and felt much more comfortable staying there. Below is a video of a portion of the sequence leading up to Eka pada. I was doing this along with the book so some of the transitions and breathing sequence might be a bit out but you should be able to get the general idea.

videoLike I said it's interesting and worth exploring. I think I'll spend the next few Sundays doing a different sequence or two, some are shorter than others. Next week the Seated posterior stretch sequence, which includes, belly twists, pelvic floor poses,desk poses, leg and arm lifts, shoulder stands and even some circular ambulations (?). The poses in Ramaswami's sequences cover the full range of poses, from one star (beginner) to five stars (advanced). You would find asana from Primary to Fourth series Ashtanga. Today's Asymmetrical one legged seated, for instance, finished with Purna Matsyendrasana (kingfisher pose).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels