Wednesday, 9 September 2009

Torn between two lovers

Susan put it perfectly this morning when she said, 'your torn between two lovers'. I looked up ye olde cheesy love song on Youtube.... and then ye olde cheesy lyrics too....

Torn between two lovers
There are times when a woman has to say what's on her mind
Even though she knows how much it's gonna hurt
Before I say another word let me tell you, I love you
Let me hold you close and say these words as gently as I can

There's been another man that I've needed and I've loved
But that doesn't mean I love you less
And he knows he can't possess me and he knows he never will
There's just this empty place inside of me that only he can fill

Torn between two lovers, feelin' like a fool
Lovin' both of you is breakin' all the rules
Torn between two lovers, feelin' like a fool
Lovin' you both is breakin' all the rules

You mustn't think you've failed me
Just because there's someone else
You were the first real love I ever had
And all the things I ever said
I swear they still are true
For no one else can have the part of me I gave to you

I couldn't really blame you if you turned and walked away
But with everything I feel inside, I'm asking you to stay

Torn between two lovers

Feelin' like a fool
Lovin' both of you is breakin' all the rules


So there was talk yesterday of perhaps going along with a friend to a mysore practice in London at the Weekend. It was a bit it out of the blue but I thought why not. Then I thought, bloody hell, haven't practiced primary for a month, need to brush up. So I shifted Kino's Primary back on to my Itouch, chucked it in the speaker and laid out my mat and towel. This was at about quarter to seven last night. The only two thoughts I remember going through my head between then and eight pm were, 'WOW' and 'fast' and perhaps 'oh WOW' and 'Bloody FAST'. And this was Kino, I used practice at Sharath's pace which is a little faster, both primary and intermediate used to take me an dead on an hour each, including Standing, Finishing and my two minute Savasana.

I sweat a kilo and a half. my map was dripping, I was dripping, but I absolutely loved it. There might be some things I question about the practice, but it is marvelous and great great fun. And of course now I'm conflicted.

Originally I'd figured that while shifting the main focus of my practice to vinyasa Krama I would still do Primary and Intermediate one day a week. Then it went down to Primary once a week and then I just seemed to forget about practicing Ashtanga altogether and seemed comfortable with that. But now.....?

Primary is just too great, as Susan said, Torn between two lovers'

And one of them is demanding, very demanding. Primary once a week just isn't going to do it, yesterday half killed me.

So I've been scribbling away, making lists and figure I need to practice Ashtanga at least three times a week, a Primary on Friday, a Primary and half intermediate up to and including Karandavasana on Sunday and a straight Intermediate mid week. The other days can be my Vinyasa Krama routine as usual.

I figure I can slow the Ashtanga down quite a bit, VK breathing and bandha work, include the tadasana sub routine at the beginning in place of two Sury's and finish with the VK winding down beginning with Mahamudra on through Pranayama and meditation in place of the traditional long Savasana. I'll spend an extended period in Shoulder and head stands. I've been practicing Ashtanga too fast anyway, it is a Vinyasa Krama practice, I just need to tweak that aspect out more. I think it's pretty much how many practice their Ashtanga anyway.

Oh and here's Mary MacGregor singing Torn Between Two Lovers ony Youtube, with some really awful lip sync.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels