Sunday, 23 January 2011

Ever wish you hadn't started something.........

Started the Vinyasa Krama practice sheet project with such enthusiasm a couple of days ago but now it's starting to grind me down a little. It doesn't help that I don't have the right tools for the job. Sure there must be a way to do it quickly in Photoshop but although I have it on the mac I've never really used it that much. So slow but probably quicker going about it the long way around than trying to work Photoshop out.

My method is this.

Import one of my Vinyasa Krama sequence videos into the VLC player and then go through it taking screenshots of all the postures. Import those into iphoto then edit each one, cutting and enhancing so you can see better what's going on, in binds for example. Add the posture name and any notes to each picture then turn the whole lot into contact sheets and save them as a pdf. Convert the pdf to Photoshop so I can add a title and page numbers ( only just worked out how to do this so the first sheets don't have them yet). Finally convert them back to jpeg so I can post them on the blog.

I'm sure there are graphic designers laughing the mulas off at this approach.

The most irritating thing is my printer isn't working (water from leaking radiator came through the ceiling, don't ask, still have saucepans everywhere and no heating!) so it wasn't until I printed a couple out at work yesterday that I was able to see some of the errors and had to go back and redo them.

Still six down but I had to re film one of the longest, Supine, today. Long long sequence, tadasana is long but only ran to around 50 screenshots, Supine is 115. Finally got the pictures into iphoto, next job is to label them all.

Supine was nice to practice again though, made me want to go back and review all the full sequences again. Such a subtle practice Vinyasa Krama and there are so many 'simple' postures that are so hard and that I do so poorly. Perhaps that's the way to go in winter, work on the seemingly simple subtle postures and leave the intricate 'advanced' poses for the summer.

I enjoyed the pace of VK this morning too. Recently I've been doing a short Vinyasa Krama practice in the evening but it's not the same as a long meditative VK practice where this sense of peace slowly envelops you and stays with you for most of the day. Despite the frustrations of this process I haven't screamed at the mac once, big improvement on a few years ago.

Something someone quoted recently ( wont name names as I've mangled the pithy quote) that came from her Ashtanga teacher has been playing on my mind. This isn't how she put it but how it's lodged and played in my mind since. Something about the difficulty of Ashtanga never really going away but that we seek to keep our mind steady and controlled throughout this challenging practice and then try to retain that focus and control of the mind throughout the day, whatever gets thrown at us. I really liked that idea, the practice kind of training you to cope with a hectic and stressful life, hadn't really thought of that aspect of Ashtanga

Here's the actual quote and it's context HERE.Thank you V

"You see, that is your work. That is the yoga: to get on the mat and be the boss of your mind, be present and mindful all the way throughout practice and then stay present and mindful during the rest of your day. You can do it."

...how far off was I ?


Vinyasa Krama goes about it in a softer way perhaps, putting you in this peaceful, mindful state that stays with you throughout the day, perhaps both approaches are useful.

Rambling, no doubt because I can't face labeling. Glad I'm doing it though, good to see the sequences laid out like this, seeing the postures and their relationships at a glance, makes me want to practice and explore them more. So do really I wish I hadn't started it? No, not really.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels